MooT Question Icon
What are the two adjectival forms of the word troglodyte?

Etymology, Etymology, and more Etymology
as well as grammar, usage, euphemism, slang, jargon, semantics (meaning), linguistics, neologism, idiom, word origin, syntax, dialect, lexicon (vocabulary), diction, pidgin, synonym, antonym, homonym, cant, argot, lingo, and redundancy.

A picture of a moot game

The critically-acclaimed board game MooT consists of tough questions about the nuances of the English language.
To join our mailing list and get free brain-twisting MooT questions sent to you irregularly, enter your email address and then press submit.

E-Mail address:

Back to home page

Answer: troglodytic and troglodytical

The word troglodyte derives from the Greek troglodutae, people who live in holes, which in turn derives from from the Greek trogle, hole, and dyein, go in.

Please note that these are draft questions for the board game MooT.
If you spot an error or disagree with anything I've said here,
please let me know and I'll fix it.
(the Mootguy)


Dear Mr Moot: These two adjectives have the same meaning, but some such pairs have usefully different meanings - e.g. economic and economical. I guess, where there's no difference in meaning, the shorter form is to be preferred because it is (if you'll pardon the expression) more economical.
x-C.H. Bennett

Copyright 1998-2008 Blair Arts Ltd. All rights reserved.